I Hart beauty

Beauty, fashion and lifestyle blog with a new post every Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday

Tuesday 27 October 2015

How to take a good flat lay photograph for your blog/ Instagram


Over the last few months I have been taking a lot of flat lay photographs for my blog and for instagram and I thought I would share with you some of my tips for a good photograph.
I am not a professional photographer and all of the photos are taken on my iPhone 6 so I can upload them instantly onto Instagram.

1. Using natural light
I try to also take my photos in the morning on a sunny day. I find that these are the best photographs and require the least editing. I try not to turn on the spotlights in my flat lays as these can create weird shadows and spots in my photos.


2. Changing your backgrounds

I got all my backgrounds from homebase. If you go into store you can take samples of wallpaper for free! I took an A3 sized piece from about 10 different rolls. I really like using white backgrounds and wooden floor effect ones. Try to keep your background quite neutral and plain if you want your products to really stand out.

3. Layering

Experiment with layering your photographs. I use magazines, dishes, different prints to make my products stand out more. H&M home is great for this. The leaf dish and marble plaque are both from there. They are so affordable and really make your photos stand out. Take a look here for some ideas.

4. Use words and sayings

I also picked up a few of these little sayings 'Do more of what makes you Happy' and 'Have a nice day' I picked these up, again from H&M. I can't find them online but they are always by the tills in the home section and cost £3.99. I've also picked some up in the sale for 50p!

5. Finally, link all of your social media to show off your hard work!
When you have taken your photos, make sure you shout about them.
On instagram:
Tag brands
Link to twitter
#everything you can think of e.g #beauty #London #blogger etc
Update everyone when there is a new blogpost and put a link in your bio

On your blog:
Have an Instagram feature in your side bar
Link all of your social media together: Twitter, tumblr, Facebook, Instagram
Be detailed. If you are featuring a product, take swatches so your audience can have as much information about the product as possible.

And finally, use others as your inspiration. Look at different # on instagram and decide what you like about the photos. Try to make yours unique and personal to you.

I hope you found this useful

Thanks for reading
Katherine
xxx






Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© I Hart beauty | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig